Thursday, June 26, 2008

Life's routines

Are you routine-oriented? I am, sometimes to the point of being too much so. It used to be I'd write my blog entries for this blog first thing in the morning; then I started doing it the night before. Once that routine settled in, if I was too tired at night - I'd forget in the morning. When I remembered later in the day, I would figure it was too late to bother. And so it goes. That's what happened yesterday. Come noon, I figure, any regulars who check out the blog probably stopped by already.

Are routines like that good for us? I remember reading that people with dementia can cope longer and hide symptoms longer if they have a very strict routine they follow. Routines like that are drilled in and people don't have to think about them, they just do them automatically.

But routines can go "bad" too. I know that there are certain things that I need to do in certain order or I don't feel right about it. Not obsessively so - but it just doesn't seem right. Ok, maybe a bit obsessive. But when does a routine go from beyond being a helpful part of life to being an obsession? Obviously, the first answer is if the routine begins to interfere with your life and your every day activities, but what about the more subtle ones? When can people recognize if maybe they need to lay off the routines for a while?

Today at Help My Hurt:

Can migraine pain be zapped away?

Video: Yoga for Your Pain

Wednesday musings

A helpful tip - taking night time pills

Study Finds Oral Cannabis (Marijuana) Ineffective In Treating Acute Pain…

Can children get CRPS?

Creaky joints - sounds like an old-age rock band, doesn’t it?

Anesthesia causes more after-surgery pain?

Yes - infants do have pain and we need to learn how to gauge it


Today at Womb Within:

Some antidepressants OK during pregnancy

Pregnant Pause

More women with diabetes having babies

Pregnant women - preventing and managing blood clots

What is amniocentesis?

Not all physicians agree with the AMA’s position on home birth

Preventing Teen Pregnancy: Start Early


News for Today:

U.S. announces recall of 320,000 cribs

Drinking less reduces overactive bladder symptoms

States Shun Funds For Abstinence Education

There was no Pregnancy Pact - Pregnant Gloucester Teen Speaks Out

CDC wants artificial turf fields tested for lead

More than 1 in 4 deliveries in Canada are C-sections, society says

Parkinson's drugs increase risk of impulse disorders

Glaucoma procedure now available at Mayo Clinic aims to prevent further eye damage


1 comment:

Michael Wong said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.