Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I don't want to!

The number of times I've read and hear dthat line, "I don't want to," when it comes to taking medications is beyond amazing. There are a lot of things I don't want to do either, but I do them because 1) I have to, 2) I should, and 3) it would be better if I did.

Not too long ago, I was browsing an on-line forum for women. One woman was ranting and raving about how she had to take a drug for osteoporosis once a month. She said that it was horrible, that her doctor only cared about giving her pills and this was one big conspiracy to get us all to take more pills. Plus, it was horrible inconvenient to have to follow the rules of not lying down for a certain amount of time following ingesting the pill.

Yesterday, on that same forum, another woman wrote about how she was tempted to not tell her doctor that her blood pressure monitoring test wasn't done properly so he wouldn't realize how high her blood pressure really is. Why? Because, she wrote, "I don't want to take any pills."

I've heard this time and time again and the frustrating thing is not that they're denying their illnesses - it's this attitude of not wanting to take pills.

My answer? Fine - stop whining and don't take the flipping pills then. If you don't care about trying to stay healthy, don't take them. When you do have a stroke or you break a bone because of osteoporosis, you'll learn that the doctor wasn't taking you for a ride.

As far as I know, very few people like to take pills. We do it because we have to. So knock it off. Stop using the excuse, "I don't like taking pills." because, quite frankly, I don't really care.

I know, sounds harsh, but I'm tired of the self-centeredness of a lot of people these days. And yes, I think it's self-centered because if you don't take the pills, you will either be leaving behind people who love you, or give them something to stress about when you do become ill.


Today at Help My Hurt:

What are wisdom teeth and why do we have them?

Press Release: FDA Approves Cymbalta for Management of Fibromyalgia

NY state may be moving forward with medicinal marijuana law

Today at Womb Within:

Are maternity bras necessary?

Ectopic pregnancies

Pregnancy can be hard on your feet

What you probably didn’t know about the newborn brain…

Why you shouldn’t rush your due date

News for Today:

Rare breast cancer targets women of color

Obese Women in Canada Less Likely to Get Pap Tests

Coffee drinkers may live longer than non-drinkers

What You Should Know During and After an Emergency

Obese patients tried on average 24 diets before surgery

Mentally ill face extra-long ER waits

High Blood Pressure in Kids Tracks Into Adulthood

Osteoporosis study suggests bone density tests could be done less often

Time to rethink blood pressure tests: experts

No comments: