Friday, March 28, 2008

Losing weight

I missed posting yesterday - sorry! I completely forgot about posting.

I got busy yesterday doing some grocery shopping and soup making. I decided to go back on the Weight Watchers points plan this week and I had to make sure we have the necessary foods so I'm not tempted to cheat on the program. Weight loss is such a major social and health issue that you get the oddest reactions if people find out you're trying to lose weight.

I don't have to lose a lot of weight, maybe less than 10 pounds - I'm a bit shorter than 5'6" and weight 150 lbs, so it's really just what I would call fine tuning. To me, it's a health issue because A) I know that some extra weight can increase my risk of some illnesses I'm already predisposed to because of heredity and B) I tend to be more active and exercise more if I'm actively trying to do something, like lose or maintain a weight goal.

Because I have a daughter, we've always been very careful in the house with talking about weight, weight loss, dieting, and so on. Anorexia nervosa and bulimia are realities in our world today and I didn't want to do anything that could even slightly encourage it. I know that the illness is way more complicated than this, but if there was anything that I could do that would make any difference, no matter how small, it was important to me. (for a great blog on this issue, visit Breaking the Mirror, written by a fellow b5 blogger)

I started WW this past October when I hit 160 pounds. For me, this was my emotional threshold. That meant - to me - that I was going to hit a point when it would become too difficult to start watching what I ate and what I did, so I decided on WW. I was shocked - absolutely shocked - at how wonderfully tasty their recipes were. I have three WW cookbooks now and oh my goodness - the food is great. Even my non-dieting family members have liked just about every recipe I've made from those cookbooks.

Being good, watching my points and getting some exercise (although not enough, I know), I lost 10 pound by Christmas. I was in no rush. Then, I got lazy but - the good news was that I didn't gain over the three months since. I stayed at 150. But I also see myself falling back into my old (read: bad) habits so I figured that the WW program would get me back on track, eating more healthy foods again.

Here's to healthy eating!

News for Today:
Preemies more likely to die in childhood or be childless later: study
Joint replacements rising, 1 in 7 return to hospital: report
Superbug MRSA spreading fast, report warns
Singulair May Be Linked To Increased Risk Of Suicide
Big Bellies Linked to Alzheimer's
Sanofi's Lantus insulin favored over rival: studyBlogger: Marijke: nurse turned writer - Create Post
Becaplermin May Increase Risk of Death From Cancer in Patients With Diabetes
Drugs Approved Under Deadline More Likely to Run Into Trouble Later
Valsartan Approved in Canada for the Treatment of Patients With Chronic Heart Failure
Being born bottom first is inherited
Popular Colonoscopy Prep Solution May Pose Kidney Risks
Diabetes Drugs May Prevent Psoriasis
ARCALYST(TM), First And Only FDA-approved Treatment For Cryopyrin-Associated Periodic Syndromes (CAPS), Now Available In The United States

No comments: