Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Clinical trials - would you participate?

Some people love the idea of participating in studies or clinical trials, while others shudder at the very thought. Where to you fit in? Have you ever participated in something like that?

There are many types of trials a person can find. Some are for the final testing of a new drug before it hits the market, others are for different dose effectiveness, comparisons of drugs, effectiveness of treatments, and even trials for tests - which ones diagnose better than others.

I have a poll going on over at Help My Hurt and I'd love for you to add your opinion:

Clinical Trials - have you participated or would you?


News for Today:
Hospitals that do clinical trials give better care
Teen smokers fall short
A landmark study to compare HPV tests
New Alzheimer's disease survey reveals children of sandwich caregivers assist with loved ones' care
MRI's high false positive rate has little impact on women's choice of preventive mastectomy
Preterm birth linked to lifelong health issues
Cod Liver Oil Reduces Painkiller Use

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would participate if there weren't a treatment working for me (especially if I were suffering from a terminal disease). Whether it helped me or just helped researchers at that point, I'd be willing to be included in a trial.

Dawn said...

I'm a real "sitter on the fence" on this one. It would depend on so many things. What I stood to get out of it, what others stood to get out of it, what I stood to potentially lose from it.

I guess what I mean is that it would depend absolutely on the individual trial.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

I would definitely participate in clinical trials but none has come my way as yet. I am already a participant in an Alzheimer's Study and was in a lung cancer study for smokers and former smokers until the funding ran out. I have a friend who is a diabetic and was in in clinical trial. As soon as her numbers weren't good any more they canceled her participation. As long as the scientist were that careful, I'd go along.

Terrie