Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Do medical dramas affect patient reactions?

I've written this before: I'm a huge fan of the TV show, House, and Hugh Laurie (as well as the other characters). I don't take the show seriously or it would drive me nuts. Like last night's episode where Amber was left on the stretcher in ICU all the time without any side rails up, even when they turned her on her side... (oops, I'm getting side tracked...)

But, something did occur to me last night after the show ended. Spoiler alert if you've taped the show and are going to watch later. Do not continue reading!

It turns out that Amber took amantodine for her flu symptoms and this normally wouldn't cause any raised eyebrows. But, she and House were in a bad bus accident and Amber's kidneys were destroyed. As a result, she couldn't metabolize the amantodine and she ended up dying.

In all seriousness, would this affect how some people may feel about taking a medication like that? My 19-year-old daughter right away questioned me about how this could happen. I told her that the chances of being in a bus accident and destroying your kidneys right after taking a dose of amantodine are rather small - but anything is possible, I guess.

I have to give the show's writers credit. What a topic and what a season ending.

Today on Help My Hurt:

Men with chronic pelvic pain receiving too many antibiotics
10 professions that cause chronic pain
Mucositis: a painful side effect from cancer treatment
Video: Sprained ankle
Only 2 more days: book on medicinal marijuana
Reminder: Ask the expert: back pain

News for Today:

Blood pressure high in certain ethnic groups: Ontario study
Veggie Pride Parade urges 'Give Peas a Chance'
Mobile phone danger to unborn child: use could cause behavioural problems
What you may not know about your cholesterolNintendo shows us how wii can get 'fit'
Delayed adverse effects may occur following injection with cosmetic skin fillers
Family history may be associated with susceptibility to shingles
Study: Doctors not always sure when to treat BP in people with diabetes
Drug brings relief for many IBS patients who experience constipation

No comments: