Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Oops, got busy...

I forgot to post today. I don't think that has happened before. To my regular readers - I'm sorry!

It's been a busy day with lots of non-writing stuff going on and then this evening I was fortunate enough to attend a local PWAC meeting (Professional Writers Association of Canada), where I was able to chat with other Montreal-area writers and learn some great tips from them. I hope I was able to offer some interesting tips myself.

Writing is such a solitary career when you work for yourself that I think some of us tend to forget that there are people out there. This may seem odd, because even as a freelance, work-from-home writer, we have contact with people all the time. We communicate with editors and clients, with sources if we do interviews, and even other writers, but most of that is by phone and email, leaving the face-to-face contact missing.

Many people are very surprised that I'm very shy - going out and meeting a group of new people is *not* on the top of my list of things to do on a Wednesday evening. And yet, I want to do that, as much as I'm afraid to. But I did go, and I'm glad. I only realize after I've done something like this that I do need it and I should go out of my way more often to make these connections.

I went from working as a nurse, where you are always with other people and always dealing with strangers, to working alone and rarely talking to anyone I didn't know really well - just by circumstances. I enjoyed the meeting. I hope the next one isn't too far off.

No comments: