Monday, January 28, 2008

Morning sickness

When I was pregnant with my first son, 21 years ago, I had what I thought was horrible morning sickness – all day long. When people would tell me not to worry, it would only last a few months, I’d shoot back with “how would you like to have the flu for just a few months?” I felt awful. I didn’t have the really bad nausea that I couldn’t keep anything down, but I had what I call a constant, low-grade kind of nausea. The kind that you can’t fight off and always seemed to be with you.

I do realize that I was lucky, unlike a couple of friends of mine. One, who was pregnant at the same time as me and also with her first pregnancy, had to be hospitalized a couple of times because her “morning” sickness was so severe. I can’t imagine how it must feel to feel so physically horrible when experiencing something you wanted so much – a pregnancy.

There isn’t much that can yet be done for morning sickness and now this article,
Central IVs risky for severe morning sickness, has added to the debate of how exactly to manage it.

Luckily for me, my next two pregnancies only had moderate nausea and discomfort – I was really very fortunate. Hopefully, doctors will be able to figure out how to help those pregnant women who aren’t quite as lucky.

News for Today:
Pill offers long-term protection against ovarian cancer: study
Winter's SAD times
Pill-sized camera can be swallowed for cancer scan: researchers
Central IVs risky for severe morning sickness

No comments: