Friday, May 25, 2007

Yesterday was a good day

Writing is so much fun most of the time. It’s not easy; it takes a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes, but it is so much fun to be able to craft something that people read and – hopefully – enjoy. Of course, if I’m writing educational material, they’re reading it to learn, but I thoroughly enjoy the challenge of writing material in a way that people will like the way I write it and understand what I’m trying to get across.

Yesterday was a good day. I was able to produce a few articles, I made contact with a new client, and another contact with a potential client. It’s days like this that I realize that this is really what I want to do. For many freelancers, the ebb and flow of work can be very stressful. One day, you may have plenty of work, another day, those assignments have been handed in and there’s little marked on your calendar for the upcoming weeks. I’m no different. A few weeks ago, I wrapped up some large projects. I still had a few smaller ongoing ones, but I had nothing to replace the large ones that finished. The thought was frightening. What if I can’t find any more projects? What if this won’t work? What if…..?

So, I did what I needed to do: I marketed myself once again. I targeted companies and people who I felt could use my services and I knew that there would be something if I looked hard enough. And there was.

I’m so fortunate to be able to draw on my nursing background to build my foundation of writing. I do hope to break out of the health field eventually. There are a lot of topics that I know I can write about. I have so many ideas. One day, I’ll do it. Maybe one of my slower periods as a medical writer, or maybe one day I’ll just say, “This is the time, I’m going to do it.” Whenever I do it though, that will be the right time for me.

News for today:
Coffee may cut risk of gout, study finds
Fortifying cereals with different iron better for reducing anemia: study
Withdrawn MS drug returns to market

No comments: