Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Time to get more exercise

Ok, time to make a vow. I will begin exercising more. I thought I could get away with just walking my dog, but he’s a greyhound and his long-term stamina just isn’t there. Get him to run a few laps, and he’s got us all beat. But ask for a walk that goes longer than 15 or 20 minutes, forget about it.

I’m just not a physically active person; I never was. You know those kids who always get picked last in gym class? Yup, I was one of them. Lord, that’s mortifying. I still remember what it’s like to stand there hoping that there was one person worse than you that might be picked last.

I keep reading and hearing about that exercise high that people get. I did join a gym a few years ago (for the third or fourth time) and I kept at it for a good four months or so. I felt a difference, I could see a difference, but I hated it. I hated it so much that I just couldn’t make myself go any more. I waited for that high. People kept telling me that it would come. Well, I’m still waiting… I’ve tried joining classes, but I don’t care for group physical activities. I have an elliptical that I was using until I had a problem with one hip, but maybe it’s time to get going on that again.

Oddly enough, I feel guilty if I go out walking without the dog. He loves to go out, just not very far. My husband goes to the gym at least four times a week. I know he’d like it if I were more active. I wish I could figure out why I’m so darned lazy about that.

Exercising is such a healthy thing to do. It helps you lose weight, tone up, strengthen your muscles, lower your blood pressure, make your heart work, and a whole slew of other things. I know all that. But none of that seems to make an impression on me if I just don’t feel like doing it.

So, let’s see if I find some time tomorrow to go for a walk once with Oscar (the dog) and a longer one later on, just me. If I can somehow make that a routine, maybe I can keep it going for the summer at least.

News for today:
Swimming lessons no guarantee of kids' safety
Outbreak of Eye Infections Puzzles Officials
GPS locators help bring Alzheimer's patients home

No comments: