Sunday, June 22, 2014

Week 3 round-up of the 2014 blogathon

We're almost done - one more week in the blogathon. This past week brought a good variety of posts:

On Monday, I discussed cataracts, because June is Cataract Awareness Month. Cataracts are very common but there are some things you can do to protect your eyes that could slow down their development.

Tuesday brought a fun post for me as I introduced people to Dr. House of Cards - aka ZDoggMD - aka Dr. Zubin Damania. I posted on Twitter about this blog post and he followed me! He said there is a new episode coming up shortly.

On Wednesday, I chose to write about whooping cough because the number of people who are getting whooping cough (pertussis) is rising. And yes,  vaccines are not 100% effective in preventing whooping cough all the time, but they sure bring down the incidence and the potential for serious or fatal complications.

Thursday's post was about Dr. Oz and if you should listen to him. Well, it all depends on what he's talking about. If he's talking about one of his nonsensical magical weight loss programs, I think you should change the channel.

The next day, Friday, I addressed cyberchondria and Dr. Google. With the Internet, it's too easy to fear the worst when you are ill. The web is great for gathering information, but we need to be careful about what we find and what we believe.

And finally, on Saturday, I wrote about the economic cost of chronic pain. If you don't have chronic pain, it may be hard to understand why something like pain could be expensive, but it makes sense once you take all the different issues into account.

That was it for week three. I've gained quite a few new readers and thank you all for coming back and checking out my posts. I hope you're getting something out of them.

No comments: