Saturday, September 26, 2009

Can U Txt S.T.U.P.I.D.?

Texting in itself isn't a bad thing. I text back and forth with my kids frequently. It's an unobtrusive way to get hold of them and they can get back to me when they can. It's also great for the ones that don't live at home because I don't know where they are and what they're doing, so I am leery about calling them and disturbing them.

BUT, the first time I heard of someone texting while driving, I thought it was a joke. After all, I though, who would be STUPID enough to do that? Apparently - a lot of people.

The American Automobile Association (AAA) surveyed 2,500 U.S. residents 16 and older and, even though almost all of the people who responded said that texting while driving wasn't smart, 18% had done it within the previous month.

I've been behind or beside drivers who are texting and I can't get over the outright stupidity of the action. It's nothing like reaching over and changing a CD. it's nothing like talking to your passenger. It's taking your attention off the road to read, to type, to send.

I really can't believe that people even know that they shouldn't do it and they do. I never thought I'd say this, but geez, what is this world coming to?

1 comment:

BillyMiner'sGirl said...

Company policy is that if cell rings, you must pull over to answer. If you are ever caught talking on your cell during working hours, you will be fired. I also follow this on my own time. Can you imagine how you would feel if you or a loved one was killed/injured by someone using a cell phone?