Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's the little things that can matter the most

Even though I make my living through writing, I don't stay away from clinical nursing for long. Every so often I go back to work with people, to reconnect to what got me this far.


Since November, I've been filling in from time to time in a seniors' place. There are two parts to it. A highrise where there are independent seniors or those who need a bit of help, and the infirmary section for those who need much more nursing care.


Last week, I worked a couple of days in the area where the patients need more care. Even though I'm in charge, I answer call bells and try to do as much as I can for the patients when I have time, rather than bothering the aids or LPNs for some of this stuff. After all, I do know how to change a brief and do some other tasks that the people may need.


So, a call bell went off and I answered. It was an older lady sitting in her wheelchair trying to fill a tiny bird cage water bottle but she couldn't reach what she needed. I didn't even know there was a bird in there! So, I offered to help her and we filled up the water bottle together and muddled through getting it reattached. I've never had a bird so I didn't know how, and she couldn't physically do it - but between the two of us, we managed quite well, I think.


Anyway, she was so appreciative that I took the time to do that one small thing. And sadly enough, I knew if I'd been busier, I may not have been able to take the time to do it.


We need to remember to think about the small things in life sometimes. It's the small things that people often remember and it's the small things that can touch a soul.



No comments: