Monday, August 11, 2008

How can you die from pneumonia? Bernie Mac did.

Pneumonia is an infection in the lungs - it can be caused by a virus or by bacteria. There is also a third type of pneumonia that is caused by fungi. Because of the infection, fluid (pus and mucus) collects in the alveoli (air sacs) and that is why people associate pneumonia with having fluid in the lungs. With the infection and the fluid, the linings of the alveoli swell and become less elastic, making it harder for the oxygen to get through.

Most pneumonias are caused by a virus. These types of pneumonia cannot be treated with antibiotics. Antibiotics will not kill viruses, nor will they shorten the length of time you are sick. It can be frustrating to find out that you have pneumonia and your doctor not give you anything, but that is how it works with viral pneumonia, unfortunately. Viral pneumonias are, however, usually the less serious of them all.

Bacterial pneumonia is the type that is treated by antibiotics. Fungal pneumonia is treated with anti-fungals.

You can also get pneumonia called aspiration pneumonia. This happens when someone inhales a liquid, food, or chemicals. Many elderly who cannot swallow properly, as well as people who have had strokes, can develop this type of pneumonia easily.

The symptoms of pneumonia can include:

  • laboured breathing
  • rapid breathing
  • painful breathing
  • coughing
  • fever, chills
It is usually diagnosed with symptoms and x-rays. Pneumonia can be idenfied on lung x-rays, usually quite clearly.

So, can someone die from pneumonia? We heard in the news that actor and comedian Bernie Mac died of complications from pneumonia. He was only 50 years old. Most deaths from pneumonia are among the elderly or people with chronic illnesses. Bernie Mac fell into that second category. Apparently, he had sarcoidosis, which made him more vulnerable to illnesses like pneumonia.

When someone dies from "complications of pneumonia," they have died from sepsis, which is the body's toxic response to infections, like pneumonia. In the United States alone, sepsis kills one person every two minutes. For more information, visit SepsisAlliance.org or go directly to their page on pneumonia: Sepsis and Pneumonia.

Can pneumonia be prevented? In some cases, yes. When a person has undergone a general anesthetic, often they can't understand and don't like it when their nurses are getting them out of bed just hours after surgery, if it's possible. That's because people who don't move around enough and have had anesthetic can develop pneumonia. The same thing happens if you have a cold. Even though you don't feel like moving around, you should. If an elderly person chokes easily on food, he or she needs to be able to take their time to eat and not be rushed, which ill increase the chances of aspirating food or liquid. In terms of viruses, high risk groups are being encouraged to get vaccinated against certain types of pneumonia. Vaccination doesn't eliminate the risk of developing it, but vaccines do reduce the possibility.

Today at Help My Hurt:

WebMD article: Marijuana Eases Nerve Pain Due to HIV
Painful sex - some women not offered any options
MS *and* a brain aneursym doesn’t stop her from laughing

Today at Womb Within:

Being pregnant if you have a family history of breast cancer
Olympic swimmer has chicken pox: Another reason to vaccinate
Humor: A Diaper Changing Primer for New Fathers

News for Today:

Prostate cancer prognosis worse in obese men
Mixing cholesterol, heart drugs boosts risk of muscle damage: FDA
Eat oily fish at least once a week to protect your eyesight in old age

20 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, of all the things I worry about, pneumonia was never one of them!

Sheesh, who knew?

Anonymous said...

I believe Bernie Mac died indirectly from sarcoidosis, a conditiion I also suffer from. Sarcoidosis is a very poorly understood immune disease that weakens the body's immune response, can appear anywhere with the body but frequently affect the lungs. Patients, such as Bernie Mac, are often given prednisone to paliate the myriad symptoms of the disease. Unfortunately, prednisone also further weaken the immune system and the patient can easily contract infections such as pneumonia, which I also contracted among many other infections.

Anonymous said...

This pretty much answered all my questions. My mom is in the hospital right now with pneumonia. She has it really bad. She also has bad asthma, COPD alon with many other conditions.

toms31 said...

Our household was shocked today when someone suddenly died. Your
blog about pneumonia was very helpful. THis is what we think happened. It started with a sore throat, then a lot of coughing and also chills. Has we understood what was happening we would have rushed him to the Hospital. We feel terible that we didn't know how sick he really was.

Anonymous said...

Omg! I feel so bad about that! My friend just died and every one says that this is why she died.

Debi Shultz said...

My 91yr old father is in the hospital right now suffering from pneumonia. He can barely breathe or eat, your information here has helped me understand what is going on with him. Thank you.

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

I am very pleased that this information is helpful. It makes writing this blog very worthwhile. Thank you for leaving your comments.

Anonymous said...

My brother just passed from aspirating pneumonia. He had special needs and was 45. He had pneumonia 3 times in the last 6 months and this time he didn't make it I can't help wonder if there was any way for him to recover from this?

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Sadly, once pneumonia develops into sepsis, the chances of surviving drop with time.

Anonymous said...

An old friend of mine broke her rib anthem doctor said that if she doesnt do the breathing excersises it could cause her lungs to colaps and then she could get pneumonia and possibly die is all that true?

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

That's a good question and it's kind of true, but not quite. She needs to do breathing exercises to expand the lungs as much as possible because if she doesn't mucus or fluid can collect in the lungs. This could become infected, causing pneumonia. So, it's that the lungs will collapse but you want the lungs to be as effective as possible.

Also, yes, it is possible to die from pneumonia - the pneumonia can cause sepsis, which is what can cause death.

Anonymous said...

My brother just died from pneumonia. He got sick with what he thought was the flu and died a few days later. He was in his early 40's. We had no idea he was that sick but unfortunately he lived far away from us so we couldn't easily get to him to check on him. It has been a real shock and I'll grieve for him for the rest of my life. It doesn't seem possible that pneumonia could kill someone so quickly but my brother is proof that it can. Please, everyone, take care of yourselves and take flu like symptoms seriously.....it can easily turn into something worse.

Anonymous said...

My dad died 2 days ago. The coroner has said it was pneumonia - but he was in hospital with bilateral pneumonia in December and had his lungs drained etc. When he went home a week before Xmas he was put on oxygen 24 hours a day and we were eventually told it would take 8 weeks for him to recover so thought he would mend. My brother saw him at lunchtime and I spoke to him the evening before he died. He was about himself something to eat so had not lost his apetite. He spoke to others on the phone too. We knew he was not feeling great but had no idea he could die so suddenly. I know this is silly but I just need to know what he may have experienced all on his own that night. It is unbearable to think he was on his own; I so would have wanted to be there for him. He was about to have one of those buzzer alarms fitted so he could get help at night but it was too late. I wonder if he chose not to ring us or just couldn't. Would he have been struggling and panicking or would he have lost consciousness and died in his sleep? He was found by a carer who had started going in each morning since his return from hospital and a lovely 10 day stint with us over the festive season. How badly may he have suffered?

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your father. Your thoughts about what his last hours were like are perfectly normal. We all seem to wonder. However, I'm afraid I can't help you as I really don't know. It's entirely possible that he went to sleep and just didn't wake up. That happens very often and if he wasn't uncomfortable beforehand that you know about, it sounds likely.
I'm sorry. I wish I could be more helpful.

Anonymous said...

My great grandfather passed of what is referred to as three day pneumonia. He was healthy but worked on the lawn during a light rain. He died three days later. I offer my condolences to all here who's loved one passed. My sister lost two coworkers within 2 weeks from pneumonia. You don't realize how grave this illness can be until it's too late.

Anonymous said...

My son died in march...... went to 2 drs and to er 3 times with complaints of chest and back pain...sent away each time...only 1 xray done.informed us there was nothing to worry. about..no meds..no breathing treatments... his illness was not taken seriously by any of the medical staff we saw..I am a devasted and heartbroken mother....my son had illness that could have been treated at home with proper diagnosis. To those of you reading this..don't stop at a 2nd opinion..get a10th medical opinion if that what it takes.

Ray Thomas - UK said...

Hi

My dad passed away today of Pneumonia. Unfortunately he died before anyone made it to the hospital.

My mum died in the Same hospital 4 years ago

I don't think he suffered - We were told that he went in his sleep.

It all started with a UTI 2 months ago..
last week he was normal " swearing and wanting to go home "

Today he has gone and weighed no more that a few stone

I miss him ..

Was good to read your blog..it helped

Ray
Basildon (UK)

Anonymous said...

My sister passed away in her sleep in March, 2014. She was a young 55. She was admitted to the hospital initially with bronchitis, was released and within 4 to 5 days was readmitted with pneumonia. There was talk of it being staph pneumonia, which was changed by the hospital. She was only in the hospital 5 or 6 days, sent home and passed away in her sleep no more than 5 days later. My heart is broken. I talked to her the night before she passed and she told me she may have to go back in as she was not feeling well. I begged her to go back that night, but she didn't go. I will always wonder if she picked up the staph in the hospital when she went in with bronchitis, but we will never know. I miss her more than words can say, she was so special to me. Heaven has a new angel and I know that is where she is. I just wish she had gone back, maybe she would still be with us. I don't think I will ever get over this. My heart is broken.

Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

My wife has had Aspiration pneumonia 6 times now since may. She just got out of the hosp a few days ago. Of those 6 times, she was hospitalized 3 with this stay being her longest yet. Her lung doc has mentioned End Stage this time. She has no stomach but does have this pouch. She had gastric bypass back in 1985. Weird thing about all of this is we both quit smoking over 2 years ago. Just frustrated I guess and the thought of losing her is tearing me apart. She is just 54.Thanks for letting post here