Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Responding to blogs

I seem to have, unknowingly, caused some people to be seriously angered (way out of proportion, in my opinion) by my post on skin cancer. Sadly, some people don't read thoroughly or properly before proceeding to jump on me and my comments. Please read the numbers properly. I stated the *Canadian* numbers, then the *US* numbers. I did not say that 900 people in North America will die of skin cancer as per one of my commenters. Read - and then comment. Don't comment on what you *think* you read.

I have had to delete some rather nasty comments, although I have chosen to keep the one that tells me how ugly I am. Don't know why - maybe because it showcases how some people are. I don't have time to go back constantly and see what is publishable (sorry, the so-called bad words, name calling, etc, are not publishable), so if there are any more like that, I shall put the comments as moderated.

As far as I'm concerned, I posted my opinion and it's one that makes sense in my world. The people who are dying of skin cancer did not have the SPF products that we have now, so blaming the products is, in my opinion, way off base. However, those of you who feel that way are more than entitled to say so, even in my blog comments. So, if you're respectful in your point of view, then it will be published. If you are not respectful, you will be deleted.

End of story.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow. I thought your post was a well-expressed plea for caution. There's no telling what will lure the brave anonymous opinions out into the open for all to address directly! Seems almost PETA-esque.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Oh, I don't know, Marijke, I think you're kind of cute.

Then again, I think I'm kind of cute. :D Terrie