Monday, July 2, 2007

The Health Writer's Handbook, by Barbara Gastel

I’m an avid reader but I’m very picky about the type of books I read. I rarely read non-fiction books, because I wanted to be transported away from my real world when I read a book. Now, I see the value in many non-fiction books and I can enjoy them in a different way.

Now, I’m reading the Health Writer's Handbook, by Barbara Gastel. What a great book! I can’t recommend it enough. I’ve been working in medical writing and editing for about 10 years now, but I know there is always something to learn. In fact, I took a medical writing class this past term, at Concordia University, to see what else I could learn. One of the teachers recommended Gastel’s book and it’s really, really good. She writes in a very fluid way, as if she’s sitting in front of you, telling you what to do. I think that as experienced as one might be, this book is worth having a look.

Today’s News:
Suicide attempts decline after depression treatment
Exposure to cats increases bronchial responsiveness in people without specific cat allergy
Breast Cancer Prognosis Runs In The Family
New Research Suggests Emotions Can Affect Recovery From Hip Surgery
Cord Blood May Preserve Insulin Levels In Children With Type 1 Diabetes

2 comments:

Madeline Hill said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marijke Vroomen-Durning said...

Hi Madeline and welcome to my blog.

I don't have any sources that I subscribe to but I have sites that I usually visit at least daily to see what is going on. HBNS.org is one of my favourites, although that could be because I write for them. :-)
PRNewswire is a great source as well. I used to work for the Doctor's Guide to the Internet, so I go there if I know there are any big conferences going on. There's often some good information there. I also do a quick search on google, and I like to stay Canadian so I check the CBC's website as well.

Where have I been published? It's probably easier to send me to my site and you can have a look there. It's www.medhealthwriter.com.

Good luck!