Friday, June 15, 2007

Writing Health Tips = Fun

Another entry on writing – health and writing, writing and health, forever the two shall be intertwined – at least in my life.

Where ever we look, there’s information written for us and often it’s in little bits and pieces, sound bytes some would say. We see them in the newspapers, in magazines, on websites, and even on products we buy. Well, someone has to write those because they don’t appear out of nowhere. Do they?

I’d never given much thought about who would write these things until one day when I was asked if I could write 100 short, snappy, attention-getting health tips, to be published daily on a US national news site. Hmmm, I could do that, I thought. And I did.

It wasn’t as easy as I thought it might be because of the parameters, but it was a fun exercise and I’m glad I did it. I had to put my mind into someone who is glancing at a web page and just quickly reading what is on the screen. It had to be short enough that it could be read quickly, but long enough that it had good information in it. And now, the results are up.

If you visit My Fox Los Angeles, for example, and you scroll down a bit, you'll see a “Daily Tip” tab. I enjoyed doing it and ended up writing 125 of them. I’m sure some are better than others, but I’m pleased that I am able to do this type of work.

Chalk up another hit for freelancing.

News for today:
Walkability helps older adults stay healthy, studies say
Teens who sleep in on weekends risk Monday "jetlag"
Childhood growth tied to adulthood blood pressure

No comments: